Let’s suppose that you are reading this article because you are an avid gamer, but you are naturally blessed with small hands. Yes, you read it well – we said blessed, on purpose. Although you might think that having smaller hands can be rather inconvenient, we can assure you that this attribute can bring you many advantages in your everyday life. For example, finicky tasks, such as sewing, embroidery or even surgery are much easier when you have smaller hands or shorter fingers. Your movements are more agile and faster, and when typing there is a lesser chance of unintentionally hitting the wrong key.
The right keyboard is essential for good gaming, as well as your working setup. It is true that using larger keyboards can become somewhat annoying and difficult for people with short hands. Therefore, it is crucial to find the appropriate keyboard size according to your needs.
Investing in mechanical keyboards with a smaller structure will be highly beneficial, as your typing and gaming experience will be improved and will become much more comfortable. These keyboards are not only suitable for gamers, but also for people who travel or move around a lot. They are more compact, portable and they use a lot less space in your bag or at your desk.
Up next, the best gaming keyboards for small hands in 2023.
1. Logitech G Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
As its name indicates, the Logitech G Pro Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is primarily a pro-grade mechanical keyboard. It is built to support E-sport athletes, providing them with a blend of speed, precision and quiet performance. It is engineered for extreme achievements.
The fastest and most durable Romer G switches are featured on this keyboard. They are 25% faster than the standard mechanical switches, making every keypress almost instantaneous from fingers to screen. This pro gaming keyboard features Logitech G LIGHTSYNC technology—next-gen RGB lighting driven by actions in over 300 top games. The lighting effects can be set and customized according to personal preferences.
The Logitech G Pro has a sleek and compact design, which makes it ultra-portable. It is easy to pack and move around or transport to tournaments. Thanks to its solid design, this keyboard frees up desk space and leaves enough room for mouse movements. A secure connection is obtained via a detachable micro USB cable.
The Logitech G Pro mechanical keyboard comes with a three-step angle adjustment for more playing comfort. Meanwhile, rubber feet provide adequate stability during passionate gaming.
2. Ducky One 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard RGB Mini 60% Cherry MX Switch PBT Keycap (Cherry MX Blue, Black)
The Ducky One 2 Mini is probably one of the most, if not the most popular mechanical keyboard currently available on the market. This mini keyboard is promoted as a gaming keyboard, which comes as no surprise – numerous professional or skilled gamers use it as their favorite gaming accessory.
It is a 60% keyboard that’s on the pricey side, as Cherry MX switches are integrated into this keyboard. They provide a smooth gaming experience. What one should bear in mind when buying this particular product is that like many other 60% keyboards it lacks some function keys i.e. arrow keys and a numeric pad. The good news is that you can access every missing key by using the Alt and Fn keys.
It is back-lit with RGB LED lighting modes and 10 distinctive predefined modes are available. You can quickly and easily change and browse through them.
Additionally, it is equipped with a detachable Type-C USB cable. Moreover, there are three placement angles to which the keyboard can be adapted, for a more enjoyable typing and gaming involvement.
3. Corsair K65 LUX RGB Compact Mechanical Keyboard
Though this tenkeyless keyboard might be on the pricier side, it is well worth the money. First of all, it is a mechanical board made of a brushed aluminum frame and silky smooth keypresses. The design makes it long-lasting, durable, and also gives it a premium look. It comes with Cherry MX switches, which are more than reliable and made in Germany. Thus, the higher quality and price. They deliver fast actuation without disturbing noise.
Secondly, the USB port is placed on the keyboard body together with dedicated volume controls. Additional keycaps come in the package, so you can replace missing ones when and if needed. The tenkeyless design contributes to the lighter weight and easy portability of this PC accessory. It is illuminated with RGB colors and effects with iCUE. Numerous lighting possibilities are possible, as the lights are 100% customizable. Contoured, textured FPS and MOBA key sets keep you in control.
This keyboard is ideal for fast typists and action gamers. The compact tenkeyless design is also a good choice for users with limited desk space.
4. SteelSeries Apex M750 TKL PUBG
The Steel Series Apex M750 is a tenkeyless keyboard with a body made by using 5000 series aluminum metal-alloy. The design is simplistic, but sturdy and durable as well. The frame comes in a black matte finish, which makes the overall design quite elegant.
The keyboard is compact and lightweight and it leaves enough space for a mouse. It is an ergonomic keyboard that will enhance your comfort while gaming. You can easily transport it around and travel effortlessly, as it packs small in any bag.
The Steel Series Apex M750 TKL RGB is a favorite keyboard of the famous professional gamer Sander Vo0 Kaasjager who takes it to tournaments and competes with it. Third-generation SteelSeries mechanical switches are installed on this keyboard. The QX2 mechanical switches are greatly responsive and deliver faster gameplay with lower force, as well as linear actuation point. The keys are custom PUBG keys.
This keyboard features dynamic PrismSync multi-color lighting effects, which can be used among all of the user’s SteelSeries Prism-enabled gears. The effects can be combined and users can create their personal light show when desired.
5. Glorious Modular Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
The Glorious Modelar Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (GMMGK) is – as its name states – a 60% mechanical keyboard, that comes with a detachable braided USB cable. It is reliable and is made of durable materials – it comes with a sandblasted aluminum body.
This keyboard comes with Gateron Brown switches, which are equivalent to Cherry Brown switches. However, the most interesting feature of this gaming keyboard is the possibility to switch between different types of switches. You can use various branded switches such as Cherry MX, Gateron or Kailh. It is fully customizable, in the way that the gamer can upgrade it to the expert level keyboard. Thanks to this wonderful detail, users will no longer need to invest in a new keyboard, every time they want to try out some new switches. The process of changing the switches is quite simplified, as it literally takes 5 seconds to change it.
The Glorious Modular Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is backlit with RGB LED modules, that can produce 16.8 million different colors. The GMMGK is quite elegant and sleek in design and is available at the market at an inexpensive price.
6. HyperX Alloy Origins Core – Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
The Hyper X Alloy Origins Core is a sturdy tenkeyless keyboard that features custom HyperX Aqua switches. They provide a perfect balance between efficiency and receptivity. The signal is sent and received quickly. These switches are reliable as they can support you with up to 80 million keystrokes.
The Alloy Origin Core’s casing is sturdy and made of aluminum that stays rigid and stable even during more intense and passionate gaming sessions. It has a minimalistic design and sleek appearance. The body features legs that provide additional support and stability. They are adjustable and have three different tilting angles for more typing comfort. This ultra-compact TKL keyboard comes with a detachable Type-C USB cable. Accessories such as removable wrist rest made of memory foam can be purchased separately.
Like many other gaming keyboards, the HyperX Alloy Origins Core comes with integrated RGB lighting modules. Lighting can be personalized and customized with intuitive HyperX NGENUITY software, which allows you to set up lighting for each and every key.
The Alloy Origin Core packs up quite light and small and is lightweight, so it can be carried around effortlessly.
7. Redragon K552 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
The Redragon-K552 is a prime mechanical keyboard. In fact, it is a 60% keyboard, compact but not really that small in size. The total number of 87 keys, including the arrow keys, will provide the user with full functionality. All keycaps are molded, very comfortable and tactile-friendly, which makes the Redragon K552 ergonomic. Although gamers with small hands will greatly enjoy it, this keyboard is a good choice for anyone indeed. The body is made of metal alloy and ABS, whereas keys are plate mounted.
The keyboard comes with integrated Cherry Blue MX switches. Original switches can’t be replaced, but at least they are quite silent when pressed.
RGB lighting adds an extra dose of pleasure and luxury. Lighting modules provide crystal clear and uniformed backlighting. Like in the aforementioned models, users can customize the lights according to their personal preferences and wishes.
The price is probably one of the best attributes of the Redragon-K552. This gaming keyboard is really affordable, given all the features and characteristics it possesses.
If you are wondering how to find that perfect keyboard and what details to pay attention to, when investing in one, continue reading as we will present you with a short, yet helpful buying guide. From an ergonomic point of view, keyboards together with mice are the most important accessories, so choosing them wisely will bring you great comfort and will increase the overall gaming experience and performance.
Getting a good-quality keyboard will deeply impact the way you interact with your PC. Set your budget first, as it is worth having a top-tier gaming mini keyboard in your collection. These keyboards usually come without a quantity pad, which makes them more pleasant for small fingers.
When it comes to the technology through which the signal is sent to the circuit, there are two different options of keyboards to pay attention to mechanical and membrane (standard). In the standard, membrane keyboards, the keys sit on the mesh- flexible membrane. By pressing the key, a signal is sent to the bottom layer of the mesh, and then to the circuit board. These keyboards are lightweight, less noisy, and cheaper. On the other hand, mechanical keyboards are made of a set of highly responsive switches that lay under each key.
By pressing the key, you are basically pressing the switch. The most famous types of switches are MX Cherry Switches. Various colors in which different switches are marked indicate diverse modes of behaviors, from the force needed to send the signal to noise and palpable feeling. For example, The MX Red switches are favored among gamers, as they are quiet and provide an ultra-smooth linear typing experience. MX Brown switches are popular among heavy typists as they blend tactile feedback with quiet keys. These keyboards can be completely customizable and can offer you a prime typing experience, as well as a longer lifetime on average. They are easier to clean as each individual cap is removable and can be later put back in its place.
Another important feature to pay your attention to when buying a new keyboard for small hands is its connectivity. Like standard keyboards, small ones come wired or wireless. Cabled ones are usually more affordable, whereas wireless, though pricier, is compatible with more devices. These wireless typing accessories are also more portable and a bit more practical when it comes to traveling or frequently changing working spaces.
Are you still lacking some information or having doubts? Here are some FAQ about compact gaming keyboards for the user with short hands:
What are the different types and sizes of keyboards?
In general, there are three different sizes of keyboards available on the market: 104-key or full-size, tenkeyless and 60% keyboards. The most common keyboards are the full-sized ones that contain 104 keys. A numeric pad on the right side is what makes these PC features different from the other two sizes. The key dimensions are 15.5 x 15mm.
When it comes to types, you can choose between basic and extended. Basic one contains 104 key, whereas extended keyboards may have some additional keys. A standard keyboard, laptop-size, handheld, flexible keyboards are among types, that you can choose from.
Find out more about how to choose the right gaming keyboard for your needs in our related article.
Is a smaller keyboard better for gaming?
A more compact keyboard is always a good choice. First of all, if you move around a lot or attend gaming competitions, having a mini keyboard is always a plus. You will have more space in your luggage for other essentials, or perhaps for a new trophy.
Gamers rarely use a numeric pad, which then only occupies more space at the desk and usually has no real purpose. Using a smaller keyboard is more ergonomic and comfortable, as none of your hands will be set off way on one of the sides.
Another plus of having a mini keyboard is having much more space to move your mouse, which, you will agree, is fantastic!
Are mechanical keyboards better for your hands?
To cut a long story short, yes. The technology thanks to which mechanical keyboards work is completely different from the technology in membrane ones. In mechanical keyboards, there is a switch under each key, which when pressed sends the signal further. Keys on regular keyboards sit on top of a flexible membrane and require far more pressure in order to send the signal in the circuit. This may lead to fatigue and discomfort for the hands and fingers over the course of time.
Typing on a mechanical keyboard requires far less effort and energy than typing on a membrane one. There is also more tactile feedback. Therefore, mechanical keyboards are more enjoyable for the heavier typewriters.
What is a 60% keyboard?
60 percent keyboards are mechanical keyboards that have only 60 percent of the keys that standard 104-key keyboards do. They are more compact, and they are based on a small form factor, which means they will occupy only a smaller amount of space, on your desktop for example.
These keyboards are particularly good for gamers as they can help reduce fatigue and shoulder and wrist ache. These keyboards allow users to keep their arms together, as well as to keep both their arms and hands closer to their body, which will decrease the overall amount of stress. They will keep the body in a more comfortable position while playing their favorite games.
How much should I spend on my gaming board?
There is no strict rule, which sets gaming keyboards into a certain price range. The manufactures have different ideas about how much features like RGB or mechanical switches should be worth and charge accordingly.
If you can spend less than $70 then you will probably be investing in either membrane keyboards, or mechanical ones that were recently replaced with a newer version. By increasing your budget slightly to $100, you can already acquire newer mechanical keyboards with monocolored back-lighting. In case you can afford to spend more than $100, the sky is the limit. These keyboards have RGB backlighting and high-quality mechanical switches. You are the judge if these premium, pricey accessories are necessary to boost your gaming skills.
As you may see, having small hands doesn’t have to be that bad at all. Especially if you are in the gaming world. Choosing a small keyboard can enhance and upgrade your gaming experience and boost your gaming skills. However small keyboards are not only beneficial for people with small hands, but for people who tend to travel or move a lot as well. They pack easily, occupy less space than standard 104-key keyboards, and are lighter, too.
These keyboards are usually more ergonomic than the full-sized boards, as they position your arms and hands closer to each other and closer to the body. Furthermore, this leads to a decrease in the amount of body stress and helps lower beck or wrist ache.
Set your budget, as one of a few downsides of these PC accessories may be their price. A decent mechanical keyboard will easily cost you over 50 bucks. If you are looking for a full RGB experience that will match your décor, it is highly likely that $100, won’t be enough to purchase one. So, choose your priorities wisely and good luck in finding your perfect small keyboard.
Watch this video and find out how to choose a proper size keyboard for gaming:
Check some other models available in 2023:
- 【3 Modes Connectivity】 With 2.4Ghz wireless, Bluetooth, and USB wired 3 modes connection, this is a wireless gaming keyboard that no longer limits how you can connect. What’s more, in Bluetooth...
- 【61 Keys Compact Design】No additional number keys, can meet you demands in Office or Home. The Mini 60% Mechanical Keyboard is Space-saving and Portable, you will be satisfied at how much space...
- 【Hot-Swappable Blue Switch】Adopted professional RK Blue Switch, which offers quicker and springier response, crisp click sound for spring Typing enjoyment, precise Tactile feedback for ultimate...
- 【RGB Backlit】This 60% Custom Mechanical Keyboard has 18 RGB Backlight Modes, 8 monochrome Backlight Modes and 1 full Color Backlight. These light modes can provide you a charming gaming...
- 【Ergonomic Designed】The RK61 is designed with 8°Ergonomic angle which can help you relieve straining effectively.The integrated wrist rest gives you the comfort you need for marathon gaming...
- Wave design with Constant Curve layout: Curved layout guides hands into just the right position
- Ease and comfort: Cushioned palm rest makes work easier and fun more fun
- Longer battery time: This feature gives you up to three years of battery life. (Battery life based on a calculation of an estimated 2 million keystrokes per year in an office environment. User...
- Logitech Unifying receiver: The tiny Unifying receiver stays in your notebook, so there's no need to unplug it when you move around. And you can easily add compatible wireless mice and keyboards to...
- Metal Panel Keyboard--Our gaming keyboard is designed with an Aluminum alloy panel. Cool brushed metal panel not only enhances the texture of the keyboard but also extremely improves the durability of...
- Soft & Responsive Keys--All keys are very soft to touch and offer very precise keystrokes, ideal for work or gaming. Our white gaming keyboard has a lifespan of 10,000,000 clicks. The double-colored...
- Cool Rainbow Backlight Keyboard--The colorful keyboard has a 7-color rainbow LED backlight, and each key is colored brightly, so you can type and play games even in a dark environment without...
- Ergonomic Design--The scientific stair-step keycap design makes it easy for the finger to reach all keys, maximizing the comfort of your hand to meet the needs of a long-time game or work. 25 keys...
- Strong Compatibility & Quality Assurance== LANGTU USB wired keyboard meets the need of gamers, typists, programmers, writers, and combines your office and gaming experience. No driver needed,...
- 【Gaming Keyboard】The keyboard has colorful backlighting function; 39 letters never fade; 39 non-conflict keys allows you to press or hold multiple keys simultaneously. The ergonomic wrist rest...
- 【Backlit Modes】FN+Scr: Rainbow mode, Wave mode,Run mode, Breathing mode, Solid color mode, Neon mode, Click flash mode; FN+ Prt: Open / Close Backlight; FN+W: WASD can be used to move up, left,...
- 【Wired Gaming Headset】 Soft breathable earmuffs,bass surround,with adjustable high definition microphone, will give you best sound quality and effective communication in all gaming actions.The...
- 【Gaming Mouse】 Ergonomically designed construction,6 Buttons, Made of quality ABS plastic, Comfortable and durable ; 4 Different LED breathing light change automatically; 4 Levels DPI Adjustable:...
- 【Compatible System】USB Connect, Plug & Play, No driver required, Compatible with Windows XP/ VISTA/ WIN 7/ WIN 8/ WIN 10/ Mac OS X / PS4 / Xbox One.
- ✅ 【RAINBOW BACKLIGHT＋MECHANICAL FEELING HALF KEYBOARD】 The keyboard adopts 39-key portable design, full key without conflict, ABS Two color keycap. Support monochrome rainbow light emitting...
- ✅ [PUBG CUSTOM KEYCAP + MULTI-FUNCTION KEYS] One-handed mechanical gaming keyboard with reasonable key layout and ergonomic design. It is reinforced at the joint, making the button more stable and...
- ✅ 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】 Increase and widen the integrated palm rest, so that the wrist can be supported. The size of the palm rest is 130 * 85mm, which is suitable for large and small palms. The...
- ✅ [USB WIRED GAMING MOUSE] The anti-skid texture design on both sides of the game mouse reduces sweating and is more wear-resistant. Durable USB braided wire.6 buttons, 4-level DPI adjustable:...
- ✅ [KEYBOARD AND MOUSE COMPATIBILITY] No driver required, plug and play, fully compatible: Win10 / 8/7 / Vista / ME / Mac / Linux / IBM. If you encounter any problems during use, please feel free to...
- Exclusive left-handed numeric keypad, patented natural_A shape key structure, laser inscribed keys.
- Compatible with Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 & Mac OS X. Available in ps/2+ USB
- Software that was innovatively designed to optimize all its keyboard's performances including multi-functional hot-keys managing tool
- Keyboard: 18.72L x 8.1W x 0.98H in.