Golf carts are among the most interesting and fun vehicles you can drive around, and for many people, they can be such a great investment both on and off the golf course. If you are a frequent renter who often rents the services of golf carts, you might want to stop doing it and get yourself your own model to cut back on the constant expenses and renting companies. However, if you are planning to buy one, or if you have one already, one thing you should also think about is the golf cart battery.
These little vehicles can run on numerous different batteries that can survive deep discharge and charge cycles. Although they look quite similar to the more recognizable and widespread car batteries, golf car batteries tend to be smaller and they need much more care. In order to use the golf cart to the best of its capabilities, a proper battery is crucial. This is why they are important, and why we decided to review several of them in this article. Since they can be complex to navigate, operate, maintain, and even choose, here is a list of the 6 best golf cart batteries you should choose from, as well as some general guidelines around them.
Consideration to Keep In Mind
The similar look of different batteries can fool an average user, but batteries are not all made the same. They have subtle yet major differences in their build that often make huge differences in how they are used, and how they perform. You should consider the following things when purchasing a new golf cart battery.
Golf cart batteries come in several different capacities, which means how much power a battery can hold and supply. Some of the lower capacity will give your golf cart less time to run. The capacity of these batteries is measured in AH or amp-hours. The best way to go is to get a high capacity battery in order to simply have more time to drive around until charging it. Also, it is possible to combine multiple batteries and increase the overall capacity. This is done by having a parallel connection through connecting positive and negative terminals of one battery to the next so that they work together.
The second most important thing to take into account is the type of your battery. This depends on different factors, but essentially, there are three basic types of batteries for golf carts. Each of them performs well, but each has different characteristics that you will need more or less, depending on your overall needs.
The first type is flooded lead-acid batteries. These are the most common type present on the market. They are versatile in their use and design, and they come in plenty of different sizes. Also, they are not sealed, meaning you can replenish the lost electrolyte if you need to. The flooded lead-acid batteries have lead plates based on sulphuric acid.
The second type of golf cart batteries is gel lead-acid batteries, which use a thickening agent to keep the electrolyte still so it cannot move around freely. These are the best choice if you tend to ride a bit rougher. If your battery cracks, the cart will still run smoothly. However, because of the tight seal, the electrolyte cannot be replenished.
The last type is AGM lead-acid batteries that are a relatively new addition to the market. They use a fiberglass separator that keeps the electrolyte in place. This new type of battery is considered the most robust option because it will not spill, is resistant to vibrations, and can hold up well and survive multiple impacts. To learn even more information on them you can visit Batterywill.
Before choosing a battery, take a look at its build and make sure it matches the style of your driving. While it is true that golf carts are no meanest machines out there and that they have limited speed, your battery can experience damage from rough terrain. Therefore, if you expect something like this, go with the more rugged sides resistant to cracks, and consider batteries with electrical short protections, as this keeps many of the components safe from harm.
Golf cart batteries do not have an infinite shelf life and will give out after a certain period of time. Their cycle lasts from charging to the point of a complete discharge, and each time it runs out, its lifespan becomes shorter. Most of these batteries can go between 700 to 1,500 such cycles, and it is smart to opt for the more advanced cycling technology and a longer life guarantee.
Your golf cart battery has to have a deep cycle, meaning high capacities which result in longer charging and discharging cycles. In order to achieve this, some have high-density lead plates and extra reinforcements. This supports deeper cycles and continuous recharging of the battery, without too much damage to their overall life cycle.
Best Golf Cart Batteries
Following is a list of the best 6v golf cart batteries:
1. Trojan Trojan 6 Volt Battery T-105
This model from Trojan is a flooded lead-acid type golf cart battery that measures at roughly 10 inches in length by 7 inches in width, and 10 inches in height. A great thing about it is that has 225 AH at a rate of 20 hours. This is a premium battery that is tough and reliable, and one that can take some beating. The brand has its own paste formula that is unique and their own design of the fiberglass separator. This battery was carefully assembled and designed to maximize performance. It can go through 70 cycles.
2. UBGC2 Sealed AGM Deep Cycle 6V 200AH Battery Golf Cart
Are you looking for the utmost performance and versatility from your next golf cart battery? If that is the case, look no further than this one. This deep cycle battery by the Universal Battery Group can be set in place in any position as it is completely sealed and will not spill. The type is AGM, which means it is a newer design. It uses fiberglass for its absorption and strength needs, and it is pretty resistant to impacts and vibrations. The capacity is 200 AH and it has a deep cycle.
3. Amstron GC2 6V AGM Golf Cart, Marine, RV Battery
Here is one more awesome AGM type golf cart battery. This durable powerhouse has a capacity of 210 AH at a 20-hour rate, and since it is an AGM, the entire body is sealed and ready for you to use it however you like. You will enjoy a confident and comfortable ride knowing everything inside of it will stay put while you navigate bumpy and rough terrain. Also, it is a small battery of only 10 inches in length and 7 inches in width.
4. Deka/MK Battery 8GGC2 6V 180 AH AT 20HR HD TYPE GEL BATTERY
This gel battery is the perfect option if you want a gel battery, as it will perform well in hundreds of deep cycles and provide you with robust power whenever you may need it. The electrolyte inside will stay in place over bumpy roads, as it is completely sealed and requires no maintenance. The capacity is 180 AH, at 20 hours.
5. Lifeline Marine AGM Battery – GPL-4CT
This deep cycle battery by the Lifeline Batteries brand was built to last in accordance with military standards. It is capable of going through 1000 cycles at only 50% depth of charge. Its type is AGM, so rough damage and leaks are nothing to worry about. The battery provides a lot of power thanks to the 220 AH at a rate of 20 hours.
6. VMAXTANKS 6 Volt 225Ah AGM Battery
The last entry on our list of the best golf cart batteries is this high capacity and low maintenance free deep cycle battery by VMAX. It is designed to provide plenty of power and needs little to no maintenance, and since it is an AGM, it will completely absorb and contain the electrolyte inside. You will not need to add any water to the tank or check the gravity readings, as this really is a maintenance-free product that can last around 10 years. The capacity it offers is 225 AH, tied for largest on the list.
- Interstate Batteries Deep-Cycle mobility product, our DCM0035 Replacement battery fits many products such as Jazzy Chairs, Leisure lift, Pride Mobility Scooters, Ranger All Season, Kubota mowers,...
- Rechargeable, Maintenance-free and spill proof because of the AGM & VRLA (valve regulated) technology that eliminates spills and overpressure.
- Professional-grade quality product developed specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. Long life for deep discharge usage. The best performer for heavy demand mobility, wheelchairs
- 12volt 35 ah sealed lead acid battery. Dimensions: 7.68 inches (L) x 5.16 inches (W) x 6.42 inches (H) Terminal: INSERT W/BOLT REPLACES FLAG TY
- Quality product - our rigorous testing 7 point quality protocol - ensures we exceed industry standards and back our products with an unmatched 1 year no-hassle warranty.
- Interstate Batteries Deep-Cycle mobility product, our DCM0100 Replacement battery fits many top wheelchair and electric scooter brands and more. This product is not a replacement for golf cart...
- Rechargeable, 12v 110ah AGM battery, Maintenance-free and spill proof because of the AGM & VRLA (valve regulated) technology that eliminates spills and overpressure
- Professional-grade quality product developed specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. Long life for deep discharge usage. The best performer for heavy demand mobility, wheelchairs, 12v 110ah marine...
- 12v 110ah deep cycle marine battery. Dimensions: 12. 99 inches (L) x 6. 81 inches (W) x 8. 35 inches (H) Terminal: INSERT W/BOLT REPLACES FLAG TY. Fit type: Universal Fit. Works with 12v 100ah battery...
- Deep Cycle battery 12v from Interstate Batteries. Power your performance with the right choice in rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries for your business applications. Constant, long-lasting...
- Dimensions: 10.2"L x 7.1"W x 10.8"H Each; Heavy Duty 6V 235AH AGM DEEP CYCLE BATTERY BANK (6V 235AH 1.62kWh Each)
- High performance VMAX AGM batteries are sealed, maintenance free and safe for indoor use.
- VMAX batteries are heavy duty and feature military grade plates for an extra margin of performance and service life in either float or cyclic applications, even after repeated discharges.
- VMAX Xtreme Series AGM batteries offer an estimated 2,600 cycles at 25% depth of discharge, and 1000 cycles at 50% depth of discharge.
- Bargainshore offers FREE Signature Confirmation on most bulky orders in excess of $150.00. You can waive the Signature Confirmation by sending us a message with your request when placing your order....
- Original Power Sonic PS-6100 6V 12AH SLA Battery. Pack of 6
- Dimensions: (L) 5.95 x (W) 2.00 x (H) 3.86. Weight: 4.30 lbs.
- SLA/AGM maintenance free, spill proof battery
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration
- 1 Year Warranty
- ML35-12 SLA is a 12V 35AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery. Pack of 4
- Dimensions: 7.68 inches x 5.16 inches x 7.13 inches. Listing is for the Battery and Screws only. No wire harness or mounting accessories included.
- SLA / AGM spill proof battery has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, long service life and deep discharge recover.
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration. Long lasting high performance in high and low temperatures.
- Backed by a 30 day refund policy and full 1 year warranty.