Apple is a well-known company with many great devices available for every user. Still, Apple’s hardware might be pricey for those who prefer to use macOS. No worries, it is possible to build a Hackintosh to run macOS with preferred hardware.
Without any doubt, the most important component for Hackintosh is a motherboard. Since the motherboard is connected to every component, getting top quality and decent performance is very important.
Here we have listed some of the best motherboards for Hackintosh.
Top Hackintosh Motherboard for 2022
1. ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
Compared to all motherboards on the market, the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E provides the best performance for Hackintosh.
The overclocking of the CPU is upgraded with the 5-way optimization. With amazing overclocking potential and an adequate temperature, it works great for every Intel processor.
Aside from the latest optimization, this motherboard also comes with an improved design. This design allows for a water-cooling setup which is important for professional users. Additionally, the Fan Xpert 4 and UEFI BIOS are available to get the best cooling options for every use.
Since the design is user-friendly, the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E might be the best option for DIY projects. Secure handling is guaranteed and the boot failures are solved automatically by MemOK II.
RGB LEDs are also built-in and provide users with advanced customization to get the premium look. Also, the strips are connected to the onboard RGB header.
This motherboard is a perfect combination of durability, performance and style.
|Memory speed||2133 MHz|
|Dimensions||13.5 x 3.03 x 10.75 inches|
2. GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO
This motherboard is well-rounded and versatile, which is why it is used for various PC builds.
An enhanced VRM design works great for high-performance demands since it comes with additional power connectors.
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO is known for durability since it includes advanced protection, I/O shield and memory armor. That said, it is perfect for every build.
Another great feature is the M.2 Thermal Guard, which is used to prevent overheats. If the M.2 SSD heats too much, it will throttle.
The audio quality is amazing. New HD Audio Codec makes a huge difference for gaming since it prevents low volume and distortion.
To maintain proper temperatures, Smart Fan 5 is more than enough. That said, the control of the thermal sensors is required for intensive use.
Overall this is a high-quality motherboard, but it is not the best option for top performance.
|Memory speed||2133 MHz|
|Dimensions||13.5 x 3.14 x 10.62 inches|
3. MSI Z390-A PRO
Even though this is a budget motherboard, it is rated very high due to the high value provided for every use.
The MSI Z390-A PRO does not lack performance. With Core Boost technology, it is designed for ideal power delivery to the CPU.
The thermal throttling is avoided with the latest extended heatsink design. Lowering the excessive heat is very important to get stable performance.
This motherboard is easy to connect and it comes with reinforced slots for more stability. Since modern graphics cards are quite heavy, it is nice to have additional support.
Featuring the NVMe SSD, the MSI Z390-A PRO provides very high data transfer speed, booting and application control.
With decent performance and high audio quality, it is among the top picks for gaming.
|Memory speed||4400 MHz|
|Dimensions||13.5 x 1.2 x 9.6 inches|
4. MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Those who are looking for a budget motherboard with LGA 1200 socket should definitely consider this model.
Although the performance is not the best, this motherboard includes Core Boost and DDR4 Boost, useful for heavier loads.
Aside from the stylish design, the MSI MPG Z490 is also designed with reinforced connections for every component. Additionally, the IO ports are protected from any discharge damage with the IO Shielding.
RGB lighting effects can be compared to the most expensive motherboards on the market. Advanced customizations are included with 29 LED effects to choose from.
The USB 3.2 Gen Type-A and Type-C present a huge improvement for data transferring. Also, the 2.5 Gbps Ethernet LAN is introduced for low-latency connection.
MSI MPG Z490 is a safe choice when building a Hackintosh.
|Memory speed||4800 MHz|
|Dimensions||12 x 2 x 9.6 inches|
5. GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA
Another great motherboard from GIGABYTE is the Z390 AORUS ULTRA, with similar features and performance to the AORUS PRO.
This model also includes the AORUS 360 Armor, so it is safe to say it is very durable. With an advanced thermal design, it delivers great cooling performance for MOSFET with a Direct Touch Heatpipe.
Since the GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA comes with a triple thermal guard, the M.2 SSD maintains high speed without throttling.
The best thing about this motherboard is the WiFi support, useful for high-quality streaming and gaming. That said, it is an ideal option for those who need premium wireless performance.
With the RGB support, users can achieve the desired look. The RGB Fusion application is very intuitive and provides complete LED control.
The only downside to this motherboard is the price, but it is reasonable considering the latest features and performance.
|Dimensions||13.58 x 3.14 x 11.57 inches|
6. GIGABYTE Z390 UD
This is a highly-rated motherboard since it is durable, versatile, and delivers higher performance than some more expensive motherboards.
The PCIe connectors are reinforced with stainless steel, which is why it is suitable for various graphics cards.
Efficiency is also notable due to the solid plated ATX pins and advanced power connectors. That said, this motherboard is perfect for getting top CPU performance.
The top performance is impossible to maintain with high temperatures, so the Smart Fan 5 is included. Smart Fan 5 is very useful for those who prefer to overclock any component.
With the 8+4 solid pin headers, this motherboard is very versatile and works amazingly for DIY projects.
The GIGABYTE Z390 UD supports the latest 8 core Intel CPUs.
|Dimensions||12.79 x 2.75 x 10.23 inches|
7. ASUS PRIME Z390-A
The ASUS PRIME Z390-A comes with advanced connectivity, premium audio quality and stylish design.
Overclocking the CPU might not be the most simple process. Still, the 5-way optimization delivers amazing results for overclocking and thermal control.
The OptiMem tech significantly reduces crosstalk. Additionally, the T-Topology layout increased the overclocking potential and memory configuration.
With the impedance-sensing circuit, this motherboard delivers amazing audio quality by optimizing the volume range. Also, signal to noise ratio is very high, which is nice for gaming.
Maintaining the proper temperature for every component is easier with the Fan Xpert 4. This feature allows users to properly optimize cooling for CPU and GPU.
The RGB control is also included with a huge variety of lighting controls. Syncing the LED effects with connected strips is the best option to get the premium look.
|Dimensions||12.91 x 2.68 x 10.35 inches|
8. MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE works perfectly for a gaming setup since it comes with an advanced connection and performance boost.
The latest WiFi 6 technology will provide the highest value for those who need high signal density and a stable wireless network. That said, the 2.5Gbps Ethernet LAN is also very useful for every modern competitive game.
This motherboard is known for its efficiency due to its stable and optimized power delivery.
Although the durability might not be the best, the IO Shielding increases the protection of the IO ports with a patent-pending design.
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE also comes with the DDR4 Boost. With stable and high performance, it provides more than enough reserves for any demanding task.
This motherboard includes a high-quality audio capacitor and high-definition audio processor.
Overall, standard users will get the most value from this motherboard.
|Dimensions||12x 2 x 9.6 inches|
Buyer’s Guide While Buying Motherboard for Hackintosh
Without any question, the CPU socket is the most important factor to consider before buying a motherboard. Although it is possible to use an AMD processor, the setup might be too difficult for an average user. An Intel CPU is used in most cases since it is more suitable for macOS.
Deciding on a CPU is important since there are many different CPU sockets. If the socket is not supported, it is required to get another CPU. Ignoring the socket might result in unnecessary expenses in the future.
Before deciding on a specific motherboard, every user should consider the build quality since it matters a lot. For example, I/O shielding increases the port protection, useful not only for Hackintosh but for every build or DIY project. Also, strong GPU connectors are preferred since the latest GPU models are quite heavy.
Still, an advanced connection is not the only benefit of high-quality design. An advanced motherboard design will also provide better thermal dissipation and higher performance.
Going for a well-known brand is the best thing to do and it is recommended for inexperienced users. Premium build quality will definitely include a higher price of the product. Still, those who are prepared for a little more investment won’t be disappointed.
Core Boost and DDR4 Boost
Getting the highest performance is easier with these features. Core Boost is used to deliver the most optimal power to the CPU to get high efficiency. The DDR4 Boost is required for compatibility and for energy efficiency. In cases where both features are available, users can maintain top performance without any difficulty.
Overclocking or not, a proper cooling system makes a huge difference in every case. Maintaining proper temperatures is required to avoid thermal throttling due to the overheat of the specific component.
The most popular cooling systems are Smart Fan 5 and Fan Xpert 4. These cooling systems provide a very high optimization level and temperature control. Customizations are also available to the personal preference of the user.
Without any doubt, Hackintosh is a great option for those who want to try an Apple operating system without buying Apple hardware. That said, the user experience will not be the same as with a new MacBook pro.
Those who decide to build a Hackintosh should definitely do detailed research to get the best motherboard. This article is a good starting point since it presents some of the best motherboards to get for every price range.
Which is the best motherboard for Hackintosh?
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E is among the best motherboards available on the market. Considering the latest features it provides and high performance, it is an ideal option for professional users. Even though it will work properly for every build, most customers will get decent performance will a more affordable motherboard.
Which is the best budget motherboard for Hackintosh?
Even though many budget motherboards are suitable for Hackintosh, the MSI Z390-A PRO stands out for quality, versatility, and performance. This motherboard will work perfectly for an average user since it is not the best choice for the most demanding tasks.
Can I use an AMD processor for Hackintosh?
It is possible, but it is not recommended. Setting up an Intel processor is more simple, and it is guaranteed to work. Using an AMD processor requires more knowledge and experience, which is why it is best to avoid.
Do I have access to the official update for OS X on Hackintosh?
The answer is no. Apple does not provide an official update for Hackintosh. Even though Hackintosh can be updated, it requires additional methods to update properly.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Supports 10 th Gen and future generation Intel Core Processors (Socket 1200)
- Supports DDR4 4666MHz+ (OC)
- 1 PCIe 3. 0 x16
- Graphics Output Options: HDMI, DisplayPort, Intel Thunderbolt 3
- 7. 1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec), Nahimic Audio
- Designed for 9th and 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with dual M.2, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.1 Gen2
- Military-Grade TUF Components like TUF LANGuard, TUF Chokes, TUF Capacitors, and TUF MOSFETs maximize system durability
- Gamer’s Guardian with Safe Slot and FanXpert 4 provides hardware-level safeguards for maximum performance with dynamic system cooling
- 8-channel HD Gaming Audio with TUF Gaming Headphone featuring Realtek S1200A high definition audio codec driven by Japanese capacitors for warm, immersive sound
- ASUS Optimum II improves memory stability and performance by improving trace isolation between PCB layers to maintain signal integrity even at higher frequencies
- The fenvi Wi-Fi 6 AX200 internal desktop computers adapter is a WLAN card that supports 802.11ax via 2x2 MU-MIMO antennas over the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. for PC motherboards in the...
- Matching Wi-Fi 6 devices adapters desktops will deliver the best results for example: ASUS Gigabit WiFi Router GT-AX11000 RT-AX88U RT-AX92U RT-AX95Q RT-AX95U GT-AX6000 RT-AX58U ROG Rapture Arris...
- 4x Longer OFDM Symbol Make Latency A Thing of The Past The Wi-Fi 6 standard uses OFDMA for increased efficiency lag-free performance. Imagine your WiFi connection as a series of delivery trucks...
- Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 10, 64-bit (even XP), Google Chrome OS, Linux, there's also Linux support, enabled in the Linux 5.1 kernel (if you have any existing Wifi or Bluetooth drivers; it...
- New gaming high speed wireless adapter bluetooth 5.1 Function Equipped with BT5.1 technology. Support connecting with Bluetooth headset, Bluetooth stereo, Bluetooth keyboard, Bluetooth mouse and...
- AMD AM4 socket: Ready for 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen processors to maximize connectivity and speed with up to two M.2 Drives, USB 3.2 Gen2 and AMD StoreMI
- Enhanced power solution: Military-grade TUF components, Pro Cool socket and Digi plus VRM for maximum durability
- Comprehensive Cooling: Active PCH heatsink, VRM heatsink, M.2 heatsink, hybrid fan headers and Fan Xpert
- Next-Gen connectivity: Dual PCIe 4.0 m.2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A/Type-C
- Gaming Networking: Exclusive Realtek L8200A Gigabit Ethernet, Intel 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support, Bluetooth 5.0, TUF LANGuard and technology
- The World's Most Advanced AMD 5600X CPU Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler and ASUS ROG Strix B550-A Gaming Motherboard bundle combo, experience elite performance in games, design, record, content...
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor. 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.7GHz Base Clock, 4.6 GHz Max Boost, 65W TDP, unlocked for overclocking, 35 MB GameCache for game performance, DDR-3200 support, coming with quiet,...
- AM4 Sockets Supported, support PCIe 4.0 on X570 and B550 motherboards, delivering double the graphics bandwidth. Massive GameCache memory onboard for higher game performance. Leading edge 7-nanometer...
- ASUS ROG Strix B550-A Gaming MB (Ryzen 5000, 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard), built with Socket AM4 Socket and PCIe 4.0, perfect pairng for Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPUs. Ready for...
- Flexible connection and fast speed with dual M.2 slots (NVMe SSD) with heatsinks, PCIe 4.0-ready, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C plus HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.2 output support and Intel 2.5Gb Ethernet with ASUS...
- 10th Gen Intel i9-10850K CPU Processor and MSI Z590-A PRO Motherboard bundle combo, maximize performance, speed and connectivity whenever you game, design, record, stream, web browsing, document...
- Intel Core i9-10850K Desktop Processor: 10 Cores 20 Threads; 3.60 GHz up to 5.2 GHz Turbo Unlocked; 20 MB Intel Smart Cache; Intergrated with Intel UHD Graphics 630; 125W TDP; LGA1200 Sockets...
- CPU Support Maximum Memory Capacity 128 GB, DDR4 2933 MHz, No ECC memory, up to 2 memory channel, 45.8 GB/s max memory bandwidth. Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Support, Intel Optane Memory...
- MSI Z590-A PRO ProSeries Motherboard: ATX form factor, LGA 1200 Socket, Supports 11th/10th Gen Intel Core Processor, Supports DDR4 Memory up to 128GB, with 1 x PCIe 4.0 slot, 3 x M.2 Gen 3x4 Slots,...
- Lightning Gen4 x4 M.2 with M.2 Shield Frozr; Intel Turbo USB 3.2 Gen 2 ensures an uninterrupted connection with more stability and fastest USB speeds; Audio Boost: Reward your ears with studio grade...
- Supports 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen/ Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen with Radeon graphics/ Athlon with Radeon Vega Graphics desktop processors for Socket AM4
- Supports DDR4 Memory, up to 4133(OC) MHz
- Lightning Fast Game experience: Turbo M. 2, AMD storemi technology, AMD Turbo USB 3.2 Gen2
- Core boost: with premium layout and optimized power design to support more Cores and provide better performance
- Mystic Light and Mystic Light Sync: 7 Colors/ 7 effects in one click. Synchronize other RGB solutions for customization.ram memory installed size: 64.memory storage capacity: 64
- Supports 10th Gen Intel Core processors
- Direct 12 Phases Digital VRM with 50A Smart Power Stage
- Advanced Thermal Design with Optimized Surface Heatsink and Next Generation Direct Touch Heatpipe
- Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs
- Intel 2.5 GbE LAN