A small, portable and flexible laptop allows students to do their assignments anytime and anywhere. Compared to a desktop computer, smaller components mean less power consumption but also mean less performance. Most students don’t need a high-performance desktop computer. Lenovo is one of the most popular brands, well-known for durability, reliability and fair price.
Here are some of the best Lenovo laptops for students.
Our Top Picks for 2022
1. Lenovo Chromebook S330
Are you looking to buy your first laptop?
Then Chromebook S330 is the best option. The display is slightly better than the standard HD display and if you want, there is also a 1080 p touchscreen version. Certainly, you won’t get a premium keyboard and trackpad, but this is not a premium laptop. The hinge can go all the way up to 180 degrees, so you can find the right comfort level for you.
Considering the budget, the Media Tek chipset and four gigabytes of RAM are more than enough for basic tasks. Anyone looking for an entry-level laptop to help them do the basics like word processing, spreadsheets, browsing, or video viewing, the Chromebook S330 is superb.
The battery life is one area where this product exceeds expectations since you have about 7 hours of regular usage. Despite being charged by USB C, there is actually no fast charging on this model. Despite the lack of fast charging, charging the battery takes about three hours, from zero to 100%.
If you need a new and reliable laptop that can handle simple tasks, then this is the way to go.
2. Lenovo Flex 5
Here we have a highly-rated 2 in 1 laptop with a 14 inch 1080 p IPS touch display. The color accuracy is definitely not the best. However, viewing angles are good, with a glossy coating on the display and nice reflections.
One of the things Flex 5 includes is a pressure-sensitive stylus that you can use to write and take notes. The hinge of this laptop can fold all the way back, so it is more convenient for writing.
Coming with enough performance to compete with any other model within the price range. Ryzen 5 4500 U with 16 gigs of RAM will do the job for every student. As for the battery life, under heavy use, it goes up to 6 hours and 8 hours of light use. The keyboard and trackpad are pretty good but not the best you can get on the market. Also, you get a built-in fingerprint reader and webcam cover slider.
Useful features, good performance and battery life make this product ideal for students.
3. Lenovo IdeaPad 5
The basic display of this product might not be suitable for those who prefer high color accuracy and a clear view of multiple angles. It is recommended to go for the option with a Full HD touchscreen IPS display and you also get more thin bezels.
Aside from stylish design, this laptop is a high-quality product with a strong frame, smooth edges, and less prone to scratches. The keyboard of IdeaPad 5 is outstanding. Students that do a lot of typing will find this keyboard extremely comfortable. As for the touchpad, it has a decent size and very accurate tracking.
The performance level of this product is very suitable for most demands. It uses the Intel i5-1035G1 with awesome benchmarks for both single-core and multi-core tasks. Multiple chrome tabs, photoshop, or lightroom, this laptop can do it all.
Considering the performance you get, 7 hours of mix regular use is pretty good.
A one-touch fingerprint sensor is hidden underneath the power button and enables quick log-in. For more privacy, this laptop comes with a webcam cover slider.
Students who prefer doing a little bit of intensive work aside from basic assignments should definitely consider buying this laptop.
Read Also: Best Laptops for Science Students
4. Lenovo Yoga 7i
This product comes with a 15.6 inches FULL HD touchscreen display. If possible, go for the option with 500 nits of brightness instead of 250 nits. Some users claim that 250 nits of brightness are not ideal for outdoor usage as your display cant get bright enough. With the 500 nits, you will also get a higher color accuracy. No matter which option you choose, the view angles are almost perfect. The screen is quite responsive on touch and supports a stylus.
As for the keyboard and trackpad, they are pretty average or even slightly worse than expected. The Yoga 7i is a well-built laptop made of aluminum, so it is quite robust and durable. Design is very stylish, available in slate gray and dark moss. You also get a webcam cover slider with a very accurate fingerprint sensor.
When it comes to performance, the Intel i5 1135G7 and 8 gigs of ram are fine for simple tasks. But if you want to do a lot of high-performance multitasking, you should go for the i7 option with 16 gigs of ram.
If you need long battery life, this laptop offers about 9 hours of intensive work. Considering the price range and performance, it won’t get better than this.
Offering many hardware changes and a high-quality build, this is a great product for every student.
5. Lenovo Legion 5
If you are a student and you enjoy playing games, this is the best option for you.
Legion 5 comes with an IPS FULL HD display with a 144 Hz refresh rate which is more than enough for every task. GTX 1660 Ti paired with AMD Ryzen 7 4800H gives you an advanced performance in every area.
This product has an amazing build quality. You get a durable and stylish laptop with an accurate trackpad and smooth keyboard for a little bit more investment.
Even under heavy long-term workloads, this laptop will not overheat. The battery lasts for about 6 hours which is nice considering the performance you get.
There are no real downsides to this product. This is not a budget laptop, so you should definitely check it out if you can afford it.
Buyer’s Guide While Buying Laptop for Students
While every student needs a laptop to perform simple tasks, there are many other things to consider before buying. For example, some software only use a single processor core. In that case, you need to ignore multi-core benchmarks and focus on single-core to find the perfect processor. On the other hand, students who do a lot of design should find the most suitable high-quality display. Those who do a lot of writing should look for good battery life and a comfortable keyboard. If you don’t have specific needs, then you should try to get a well-rounded laptop.
In every case, a bigger laptop comes with a bigger screen, so it is more convenient to watch any type of video content. Smaller laptops have less weight, which means they are easier to transport. If you are on the move every day, this can be a huge factor. There is no perfect size for everyone, but going for 17 inches might be too much. Usually, people who travel a lot and do their work remotely prefer something like 13 inches or below. Also, if you get a smaller laptop, it is possible to connect it to an external monitor. It is easy to connect with an HDMI cable. Getting a perfect size is not that simple, but you can always change your product like any other.
Investing in good battery life might not be a huge factor for everyone, but it will pay out for sure. Considering the performances, you should always go for at least 6 hours or heavy usage. Going below 6 hours will make you lose a lot of time, especially if you don’t have fast charging on your device. If possible, try to get about 8 hours of battery life. In some cases, it is reasonable to get even 10 hours depending on your needs. For battery life, it is quite simple. The more is always better.
Considering 2 in 1 option
Sometimes you want to get a tablet and a laptop. Instead of buying two separate devices, there are options to have both with one device. This means you can buy a laptop that can fold all the way, so it becomes a tablet. If you buy this laptop, you will get a stylus, enabling you to take quick notes, write or draw anything you want. The only thing you should know is that 2 in 1 option usually comes with slightly lower performances.
Nowadays, there are so many products on the market for every price range. It is fine for users with low experience with hardware and operating system to go for a low-budget laptop. For more experienced users, it is always better to invest more if possible. Even with the mid-range laptop, you will get a lot more build-quality, performance and battery life.
Most students prefer to get a laptop that is suitable for assignments, gaming and other casual use. Student or not, you should try to get a well-rounded, reliable and durable laptop. This article contains enough information to help you pick the perfect laptop for your needs. Laptops are improving very fast. Every year there are more features, new designs, better performances and higher-quality builds. Use any information available to make your choice easier.
1. Why does my wrist hurt when I do a lot of typing?
If you type for a long period, it is normal to feel a little discomfort, but the pain is not a good sign. There is only one problem and it is a low-quality keyboard. This means that you are probably using a laptop that is not made for writers. Getting an external laptop keyboard might be an option, but you also need to consider changing to another product. An external keyboard is the cheapest solution for sure. Still, you should know that you can probably swap your laptop for the one with the same price and more suitable for long typing.
2. How can I get more performance with my laptop?
In most cases, it is possible to overlock your components, which should give you more performance depending on your ventilation. It important to know if you don’t have good ventilation, overlocking will do nothing. Your components will overheat and throttle. Do not try this by yourself. At least try to consult a more experienced user. Overclocking is not the best solution. If you need more performance, you should get a new laptop or upgrade your components.
3. Why is my laptop shutting down constantly?
The unexpected shutdown is rarely a software-related problem. Usually, it is due to a battery malfunction. The battery is a part that is easy to change. Even so, changing it yourself is not the best option. The best option would be to contact the manufacturer. Changing a damaged battery or any other component might go wrong, so you should always take it to repair service.
We also made a list of the other great models for Lenovo that you should check out:
- 14.0 in Full HD IPS touchscreen (1920 x 1080), 10-finger multi-touch support, Intel Core i7-1065G7 1.3 GHz up to 3.9GHz Processor
- 512GB PCIe SSD, 12GB LPDDR4 3733 MHz RAM
- Wi-Fi 6 + Bluetooth 5.0, 720p webcam, 2 in 1 Full HD IPS Touchscreen Laptop/Tablet
- 2 Thunderbolt 3 (DisplayPort) 1 USB 3.1 1 headphone/microphone combo jack, Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint reader, Up to 15 Hours Battery Life
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics, Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Weight:2.98lbs
- 10th generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 processor. Dual-core, four-way intelligent processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology delivers dynamic extra power when you need it, while increasing...
- 15.6-inch touchscreen for convenient control. Tap, tap, swipe and get the most out of Windows 10. HD TruBrite technology that expands color and clarity. 1366 x 768 typical HD resolution. Supports 720p...
- 12GB memory system for full power multitasking.
- 256GB Solid State Drive (PCI-e). Save files quickly and store more data. With large amounts of storage and advanced communication power, PCI-e SSDs are ideal for major gaming applications, multiple...
- Wired wireless connectivity (WiFi 5 - 802.11 ac), integrated HD webcam with microphone. Windows 10 Home. Weighs 4.07 lbs. and measures 0.78" thin
- 14" FHD (1920x1080) IPS 300nits Anti-glare Touchscreen Display, Dolby Vision, Intel UHD Graphics, 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10210U Processor (Quad-Core, 1.6 GHz Upto 4.2 GHz, 6 MB Cache)
- 256GB solid state drive (SSD), 8GB RAM
- 360° flip-and-fold design. Offers four versatile modes — laptop, tablet, tent and stand., Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint reader
- 2 x USB 3.1 Type-C, 1 x USB 3.1 Type-A, 1 x Headphone/Speaker/Line-Out Jack, 802_11_AC, Bluetooth 5.0, Webcam
- Dimensions L x W x H (inches): 12.7 x 8.4 x 0.7, Weight: 3.09 lbs, Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10210U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz base with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores).
- 14" FHD (1920x1080) IPS 250nits Anti-glare Display; Integrated Intel UHD Graphics. 720p with ThinkShutter camera, Stereo speakers, 2W x2, Dolby Advanced Audio and 2x, Array Microphone Ideal for Home,...
- 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory; 1TB HDD 5400rpm 2.5". This electronic gift, holiday gift offers a good experience for watching videos, browsing the web, remote work, or study from home.
- RTL8822CE 11ac, 2x2 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0; 1x USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (support data transfer, Power Delivery and DisplayPort), 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Always On), 1x HDMI 1.4b, 1x headphone / microphone combo...
- ■ Authorized Ipuzzle Bundle ■ Bundled 64GB Green USB Flash Drive. Windows 10 Pro 64, English; Black; Non-backlit Keyboard; up to 12.8 hr Battery Life
- 【Upgraded】RAM is upgraded to 12GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once. Hard Drive is upgraded to 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD allows to fast bootup and...
- 【Processor】Athlon Gold 3150U Processor (2.4 GHz, up to 3.3 GHz Max Boost, 2 Cores, 4 Threads)
- 【Screen】14" Full HD (1920 x 1080) TN 220 nits Non-Touch Backlit Anti-Glare Display
- 【Tech Specs】 Power jack | HDMI | Headphone/mic combo | 4-in-1 SD card reader |2 x USB 3.1 | USB 2.0 | Windows 10 Professional
- 【Included in the Package】Mousepad from PConline365
- Disclosure: Brand New Computer has been resealed to upgrade the Memory or SSD. One-year warranty from the manufacturer. Three-year warranty for upgraded Memory/SSD for Issaquah Highlands Tech...
- 11th Generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor (2.80 GHz, up to 4.70 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 12 MB Cache); 40GB DDR4 (8GB onboard + 32GB in slot) Memory; 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, 250 nits; Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics functions as UHD Graphics - Expandable to 3 montiors via HDMI, Thunderbolt 4, Type-C, Max resolution for the...
- 1 x Thunderbolt 4 / USB4 40Gbps (support data transfer, Power Delivery 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.4a), 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 (Supports DisplayPort and Power Delivery), 2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 (1 always on), 1 x...
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, FREE upgrade to Windows 11 Pro available. Ideal for School Education, Designers, Professionals, Small Business, Programmers.
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Quad Core Processor 2.3 GHz / 12GB DDR4 RAM / 512GB PCIe NVMe solid state drive (SSD)
- 15.6-inch Full HD IPS 250nits Anti-glare Touchscreen display / Integrated AMD Radeon Vega 10 graphics
- Backlit Keyboard / Dolby Audio Premium / 2W x2 Stereo speakers / Wireless 802.11 ac + Bluetooth 4.2 / HD webcam with stereo microphone
- 2 USB 3.0 Type A Ports / 1 USB 3.1 Type C Port / HDMI Output / 1 headphone / microphone combo jack / Built-in media reader
- 3-cell 52.5Wh Li-Ion Battery / 65W Power Adapter / Color: Abyss Blue / Windows 10 Home in S mode