The i5 9400 F is a dated CPU, but it can be used to play modern games and for similar activities. Still, it is not the best option for most demanding tasks.
Playing games will require a dedicated GPU since this model does not include integrated graphics.
Even though the i5 9400F can not be overclocked and does not include hyper-threading, it provides enough performance for most users. Here we have listed some of the best motherboards for i5 9400F.
Top Best Motherboard For I5 9400F – Review
1. Asus Rog Maximus XI Hero – Best high-end option
The best option the get the ultimate performance and latest features is the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero.
This is the perfect motherboard for overclocking by featuring a dedicated onboard clock generator that provides performance to the CPU cores. Additionally, the OptiMem II tech is included allowing users to properly optimize and customize the motherboard.
With the 5-way optimization and ROG, UEFI BIOS users can manually control every part of the system.
Since this is a premium motherboard, it comes with an advanced sound system. SupremeFX integrated audio provides unmatched sound details for every modern game or any other audio format.
The ROG Maximus XI HERO offers a very high personalization level with the Aura Sync feature.
Cooling management is available with Fan Xpert4 and UEFI BIOS. Users can manage thermal sensors to achieve the perfect temperature and performance.
2. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro – Best value
This is a highly-rated and durable motherboard that provides high performance for a reasonable price.
AORUS motherboards come with an improved layer that includes the integrated I/O shield, memory armor and PCIe armor. Aside from durability, the 8+4 Solid-pin CPU power connectors are used to provide enough performance for i5 9400 F.
Featuring gigabit Wi-Fi, it works perfectly for those who are gaming and streaming.
With the Smart Fan 5 cooling system, there is no overheating. By controlling the fans and thermal sensors, this system maintains the proper temperature and performance.
Also, this motherboard comes with the RGB Fusion with full RGB support and control over the LEDs.
Considering the price of the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus PRO, it is among the best options for a modern gaming PC.
3. Gigabyte H310M – Best budget option
Although the H310M might not be the best for high performance, it provides a great user experience considering the price.
With the 2666 MHz memory speed Realtek 8118 LAN, this motherboard provides enough network stability and performance for casual gaming. On the other hand, professional gaming or demanding tasks like video rendering require higher performance.
Considering this is a budget motherboard, it is surprising that it includes the Smart Fan 5 as it is an advanced cooling system.
The H310M also comes with high-end audio capacitors with high fidelity delivering realistic sound effects. That said, the Audio Noise Guard feature protects sensitive analog components.
4. Gigabyte Z390 UD
Another great option for those who prefer to get a Gigabyte motherboard is the Gigabyte Z390 UD.
With the stainless steel shielding design, durability is guaranteed. The PCIe connectors are reinforced to provide additional support for heavier GPUs.
Although this is not a premium motherboard, it delivers an amazing performance since it has a 4400 MHz memory speed and 128 GB maximum capacity.
Improved VRM design supports the 8 core Intel CPU, which is nice since there is an option to upgrade the CPU.
This motherboard is efficient and it provides a stable power supply due to the solid pin power connectors.
Altogether this motherboard is among the best mid-range options on the market.
5. MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
The MSI MPG Z390 works perfectly with the i5 9400 F for those who want to build a gaming PC.
The latest and improved heatsink design lowers the heat on the top of the VRM. By reducing the heat, it provides a more stable performance without any throttling.
Intel Turbo USB 3.1 Gen 2 is featured for fast and stable USB connection for every device.
There is no need for overclocking since the DDR4 Boost is included with the 4400 MHz memory speed. Also, the Core Boost technology delivers an ideal current to the CPU.
With the performance to match some of the more expensive motherboards and high connectivity, this motherboard is quite sufficient for professional gaming.
6. Asus Prime Z390-P
Combining the new Features, a great thermal design and overclocking potential, this product quickly became popular among users who are looking for a well-rounded motherboard.
The ASUS Prime Z390-P comes with the latest software that simplifies overclocking and allows many customizations with advanced tools.
Our OptiMem II technology is used to reduce the crosstalk by adding shielding zones. The T-Topology layout is also included for increased customization for overclocking.
Aside from the improved design, the Fan Xpert 4 enables the CPU’s cooling control and cooling control for supported ASUS graphics cards.
The RGB strips are connected to the RGB header with blinking, fading and static effects.
There is no downside to this product. That said, this motherboard should be changed if there is a requirement for a premium CPU.
7. MSI Pro Series Intel H310
The MSI ProSeries Intel H310 is a great option to pair with the i5 9400 F for a budget PC and casual gaming.
The 2666 MHz memory speed is not the best option for those who need advanced performance. Although there are only 2 memory slots available, the 32 GB maximum capacity works great for most games.
This motherboard delivers a very stable and fast network with reliable data transferring. Additionally, the premium audio components are used to achieve an amazing sound quality.
Even though there is a little overclocking potential, it is only recommended with the upgraded cooling system.
Those who need a motherboard with great sound quality, enough performance for casual gaming and a stable connection should consider buying this model.
Buyer’s Guide While Buying Motherboard for i5 9400 F
Whether you buy a motherboard for Intel or AMD CPU, there is no difference between the most essential factors. Since the new motherboards can be quite expensive, a few factors must be considered before buying.
Without any question, the motherboard chipset is the most important and should be considered first. The main difference between the chipsets is the performance potential. Those who need a budget option for i5 9400 F should pick a motherboard with an H310 chipset. On the other hand, to get the maximum performance, the Z390 chipset is required. Although the Z390 might be the best for high-performance and it includes some additional features, it is also the most expensive chipset.
Having the latest BIOS that is simple to use and allows advanced customizations is useful for inexperienced and advanced users. Nowadays, the upgraded software simplifies the control of a specific component in terms of cooling or overclocking. Also, some versions include the RGB control for every component, which is nice to get the desired look. Mostly the BIOS can drastically improve the user’s experience.
The maximum RAM memory speed supported will determine the highest memory speed that can be used. For example, if the motherboard supports a 2400 MHz memory speed, buying a RAM memory with a higher speed will work. Still, it will be limited to 2400 MHz. As there is no perfect memory speed, it depends on the user’s requirements. Although it is nice to have the fastest RAM, it is very expensive and unnecessary in most cases. Also, those who are using DDR4 memory should buy a motherboard with a DDR4 boost.
The form factor determines the required size of a motherboard since there are a few available sizes. The most frequently used is the standard ATX size since it provides advanced connectivity and a lot of space for other components. Those who need a motherboard for smaller casing like mini ITX cannot use the ATX motherboard. Simply for mini ITX casing can only be used the mini ITX motherboard. Even though the mini ITX motherboard can be used for ATX casing, it is mostly limited to DIY projects.
Aside from performance, one of the main differences between motherboards is the available features. Those who prefer to overclock the CPU should get a motherboard with advanced cooling and fan control features. That said, some motherboards have improved audio quality, which is very useful for modern competitive games. The design features should not be ignored since some motherboards include additional component protection. Lastly, most modern motherboards come with RGB features with many customizations.
Without any question, the best thing to do is to get a motherboard with the latest features and high performance. The most important is to have a motherboard that is sufficient to gain the full potential of the specific CPU. Getting a proper motherboard with an adequate cooling system, fan controls and overclocking settings will make a huge difference for every user.
Can I overclock the i5 9400 F?
The standard overclock is not possible, although there is an option to use the frequency boost. Depending on the cores boosted, the maximum frequency turbo boost goes from 3.9 GHz to 4.1 GHz. If there is a requirement for higher performance, the best thing to do is to get a new CPU with available overclocking.
Which is the best chipset for i5 9400 F?
The best chipset is the Z390. This chipset provides the maximum performance for i5 9400 F, although it is not required in most cases. Most users will do just fine with the H370 chipset since the Z390 is a premium chipset that is only necessary for the most demanding tasks. Those who prefer to get the best performance should consider the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO.
Is i5 9400 F good for gaming?
Yes, it is. The i5 9400 F performs great for most modern competitive games. Even though playing the most demanding games on the highest graphics settings might require a better CPU, it only provides about 5-10 additional FPS. Those who are using a 144Hz monitor will not have any trouble. Going above the 144Hz and the ultra graphics settings might require a premium CPU.
Can I use the i5 9400 F for video editing?
The i5 9400 F will work fine only for smaller projects since it lacks hyper-threading. This is not a premium CPU, so it cannot be used for the most demanding tasks or activities. For professional video editing, a premium CPU is required.
Do I need a water cooling for i5 9400 F?
Water cooling is required only for professional users and those who are overclocking a CPU. Since the i5 9400 F does not support overclocking, installing the water cooling is unnecessary. This CPU will work properly with the stock cooler, and the cooling can be improved with a lot cheaper solutions.
If these weren’t enough, check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- ☆ The motherboard integrates sound and display network card. It integrates RTL8105E 100 MB network card and 6-channel sound effect chip. The main chipset is Intel H81, CPU platform is Intel Core 4,...
- ☆ Memory type is DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHZ, Memory slot is 2 DDR3 DIMM. The expansion slots include a PCI-E × 16 graphics card slot, 2 USB2.0 slots, 4 SATA2.0 interfaces.
- ☆ The I/O interface includes USB interface, USB keyboard and mouse universal interface, a RJ45 network interface, a HDMI high definition output, 4 USB2.0 interfaces, audio interface.
- ☆ With a 4 pin power interface and a 24 pin power interface, three phase power supply mode. Good compatibility and expansion space, does not occupy the system memory.
- ☆ HDMI high-definition display card, high-performance HDMI display card, support VGA + HDMI dual output. Note: The color of the slot bottom plate may be different for each batch. The product is...
- 10th Gen Intel i9-10850K CPU Processor and MSI Z590-A PRO Motherboard bundle combo, maximize performance, speed and connectivity whenever you game, design, record, stream, web browsing, document...
- Intel Core i9-10850K Desktop Processor: 10 Cores 20 Threads; 3.60 GHz up to 5.2 GHz Turbo Unlocked; 20 MB Intel Smart Cache; Intergrated with Intel UHD Graphics 630; 125W TDP; LGA1200 Sockets...
- CPU Support Maximum Memory Capacity 128 GB, DDR4 2933 MHz, No ECC memory, up to 2 memory channel, 45.8 GB/s max memory bandwidth. Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Support, Intel Optane Memory...
- MSI Z590-A PRO ProSeries Motherboard: ATX form factor, LGA 1200 Socket, Supports 11th/10th Gen Intel Core Processor, Supports DDR4 Memory up to 128GB, with 1 x PCIe 4.0 slot, 3 x M.2 Gen 3x4 Slots,...
- Lightning Gen4 x4 M.2 with M.2 Shield Frozr; Intel Turbo USB 3.2 Gen 2 ensures an uninterrupted connection with more stability and fastest USB speeds; Audio Boost: Reward your ears with studio grade...
- ASRock Super Alloy
- Supports 7th and 6th Generation Intel CoreTM i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron Processors
- Supports DDR4 2400/2133
- 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 12 PCIe 2.0 x1
- 4 SATA3, 1 M.2 (SATA3)
- Bios setting changes are required to use 12 GPUs.
- Supports 6 AMD and 6 NVIDIA GPU's.
- Core i7/ i5/ i3/ Pentium/ Celeron (LGA1151)
- DDR4 2400/ 2133/ 1866
- Windows does not support more then 8 of AMD or NVIDIA GPUs.
- Cpu: LGA1151, Supports 9th/ 8th Generation Intel Core processors, CPU up to 95W
- Chipset: Intel B365
- Memory: 4x DDR4-2666/ 2400/ 2133 DIMM slots, Dual Channel, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max Capacity of 64GB
- Slots: 2x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots (single at x16; dual at x16/ x4), 2x PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slots (flexible PCIe)
- Multi-graphics: Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX and CrossFireX Technology
- 10th Generation Intel i5-10600K CPU Processor and ASUS Prime B460M-A Motherboard bundle combo, maximize performance, speed and connectivity whenever you game, design, record, stream, web browsing,...
- Intel Core i5-10600K Desktop Processor. 6 Cores 12 Threads; 4.10 GHz up to 4.8 GHz Turbo Unlocked; 12 MB Intel Smart Cache; Intel UHD Graphics 630; 95W TDP; LGA1200 Sockets Supported
- CPU Support Maximum Memory Capacity 128 GB, DDR4 2666 MHz, No ECC memory, up to 2 memory channel, 41.6 GB/s max memory bandwidth. Built-in Intel UHD Graphics 630, Intel Optane Memory Supported,...
- ASUS Prime B460M-A MB. Built with Intel LGA 1200 Socket, designed to unleash the maximum performance of 10th Gen Intel Core processors. Flexiable connection and fast speed with dual M.2 slots, USB 3.2...
- Comprehensive Cooling with VRM heatsink, PCH heatsink, hybrid fan headers and Fan Xpert 2 utility. / 5X Protection III with LANGuard, DRAM overcurrent protection, overvoltage protection, SafeSlot Core...