When Intel announced its 9th generation of processors, the whole tech world was watching. Ryzen was starting to dominate the CPU market, as they offered more cores and the same performances, and Intel needed to respond quickly. i9 9900K put them right back on track, with its hex-core chip, with up to 16 threads, and a staggering boost speed of 5 GHz!
With its superb performance and affordable price, it quickly became one of the most popular CPUs on the market. We will take a look at some of the best motherboards for i9 9900K.
Top Motherboards for i9 9900K
1. MSI MPG Intel Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
MSI outdid themselves when they introduced the MSI MPG Intel Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon. This motherboard is our favorite pick, decked out with all the latest and best features. It is perfect for gamers and power users who want the best of the best.
With its 11-phase power delivery system, it will satisfy even the most power-hungry processors. Thanks to the robust VRM, it has some impressive overclocking capabilities, and you can hit high clock speeds with maximum stability.
The onboard ALC1220 audio processor is the culprit behind the exceptional sound quality that this motherboard offers. The sound card, paired with a dedicated amplifier, will let you use high-ohm studio headphones; you do not have to get an additional headphone amp to get the most out of your high-end headphones. Thanks to the Nahimic 3, this motherboard sports a great-quality surround sound capability. It features gold audio connectors, which are known for their superb audio quality.
There are three PCI-E 3 expansion ports, which are high quality and reinforced; they can support the weight of heavier GPUs. Thanks to the pre-mounted I/O shield, this motherboard is easy to install. There are four DIMM slots, which support up to 128GB of RAM, plenty even for the most demanding users. The maximum memory speed is 4400MHz.
- Best of the best
- Easy to install
- 11-phase VRM
- Great for overclocking
- High-fidelity sound
- Dedicated audio amplifier
- Reinforced PCIe & RAM slots
- Super expensive
2. ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
Another great high-end pick for today is the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero. Part of their well-known ROG lineup of products, offering high-quality and great aesthetics that tries to appeal to gamers – although the design of this motherboard will most certainly awe everyone.
VRM is good, its 10-phase power delivery will effortlessly power any processor, and it offers good overclocking capabilities. Most users like the idea of overclocking, but the reality is that achieving a stable overclock is not an easy task. Using the 5-Way Optimization, you can get great overclocking results with just a few clicks; it is an AI-assisted bot that will do all the work for you.
You will not get far with overclocking if your thermals are problematic, and ASUS offers another easy solution for this complicated problem. Using the Fan Xpert 4, you will maintain maximum control over your fan speeds and temperatures; it will keep your system nice and cool with no thermal throttling, even when overclocking. RAM is overclockable using the Optimem II.
Back I/O has everything you could think of. There are eight USB ports, two of which are USB 2.0; mostly used for peripherals. Three ports are USB 3.1 Gen2, two are 3.1 Gen1, and an included Type-C port. BIOS flashback button will help you upgrade your BIOS to the latest version before you even install the CPU; it will only need a power source and USB to transfer the firmware. The Clear CMOS button is another welcome addition; it will save you when you fiddle too much in BIOS.
- Beautiful design
- 10-phase power delivery
- Best overclocking tools
- USB 3.1 Gen2
- BIOS Flashback & Clear CMOS buttons
3. ASRock Z390 Taichi
ASRock is widely known for its selection of mid-range motherboards, but their premium Taichi motherboards always managed to find their place in many high-end builds, and it is for a good reason. The ASRock Z390 Taichi is a perfect choice for gamers, offering plenty of features and high performance for a reasonable price.
Its 12-phase power delivery is one of the finest on the market, and it will power up pretty much any CPU you put it up against. Thanks to plenty of power phases and 60 Amp output, this motherboard has high overclocking potential, allowing you to get the most performance of your processor. It has an additional external clock generator, which will enable you to get higher frequencies and better stability when overclocking.
This motherboard has an included WiFi module, which is great for users who prefer to go wireless. It also has Bluetooth. You can connect external antennas for improved range and transfer speeds; there are two connectors on the back I/O. The dual-LAN is a nice feature, but we were surprised that they used an outdated gigabit controller, which may not be enough for some power users.
The expandability of this motherboard is exceptional. There are eight SATA3 ports and two Ultra M.2 slots. Three PCI-E 3 expansion slots are running at full speed; they are not sharing bandwidth with M.2 slots, thanks to the ASMedia ASM1061 SATA controller.
- Gorgeous design
- 60 amp 12-phase power delivery
- Great for overclocking
- External clock generator
- outdated Ethernet controller
4. GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
Since its inception, the AORUS lineup has strived to provide the ultimate experience for gamers. Gigabyte is one of the four leading motherboards manufacturers; they have been in the game for the longest time. Their products have an ongoing reputation of high quality and stability.
AORUS Pro has all the features that your average gamer would want, and although it lacks some features included on higher-end boards, it comes at half their price, so it is no surprise that this motherboard is a foundation of many budget gaming builds.
This motherboard is a super capable overclocker. Thanks to its beefy 12+1 power delivery system, with premium DrMOS capacitors. Smart Fan 5 will ensure your system stays ice-cool, even when overclocking. The addition of dual M.2 slots is welcome; they come with heatsinks, which will keep your modules cool.
It supports up to four memory sticks, which will let you install up to 128 GB of DDR4 RAM. Memory speed is good; it can run up to 4266 MHz, although in OC mode. Onboard audio is superb, with surround sound and SPDIF capabilities, which is standard for premium motherboards. Another impressive feature is the AMP-UP, an onboard chipset tasked with amplifying your audio signal. This chip is swappable for much more capable chips, which makes this motherboard unique.
- AORUS brand
- Premium and affordable
- Beefy 12+1 VRM
- Dual M.2 slots
- Wifi, Bluetooth
- AMP-UP chip
- RGB can’t be turned off.
5. ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming
ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming offers a good middle-ground between the higher-end and budget motherboards. With its accessible price, it quickly became one of the most popular motherboards on the market. It is part of the TUF brand, with its modern aesthetics and military-grade components, known for its longevity and stability.
Since this is a Z390 chipset motherboard, it offers overclocking capabilities. But the limited 8 phase power delivery will limit how far you can go. It will still run every CPU you can put it in, but do not expect lots of overclocking potential.
TUF brand is all about reliability. They use military-grade capacitors, which have 20% higher temperature tolerance, and their lifespan is up to 5x longer (compared to regular capacitors). Board is full of ESD guards, which will prevent damage from electrostatic discharge. LANGuard offers protection against surges, which can come in handy if there are frequent thunderstorms in your area.
In short, this is a perfect pick for users who value reliability over the rest.
- Military-grade components
- Eye-catching design
- Super reliable
- Lack of features
6. ASRock B365 PHANTOM GAMING 4
ASRock has released another capable budget motherboard, but what sets it apart from all of the countless other budget picks? They have managed to design a gorgeous-looking motherboard that still packs a punch, while still maintaining an extremely affordable price.
Featuring the Intel B365 chipset, this motherboard is not as capable as Z390, it lacks overclocking capabilities and USB 3.1. But it is a big upgrade compared to its predecessor, the B360, featuring more PCI-E lanes. The power delivery system is decent; its 8 phase VRM can power any CPU without any hitches.
This is a budget motherboard, but you would not be able to tell that by looking at its back I/O. It comes packed with eight USB ports, four of which are USB 3.1. There is also a single Type-C port, which is a rare occurrence on budget motherboards. There are also two USB 2.0 ports, which will be useful for peripherals that won’t benefit from fast transfer speeds (printer, keyboard, etc.)
We got used to RGB on higher-end boards, but it’s rare to see it on entry-level motherboards, so it’s a welcome addition. It is fully customizable with the Polychrome SYNC application. Another feature that we didn’t expect is the post LEDs, which will quickly help you troubleshoot any problems that stop your PC from posting. It was also nice for them to include a surround-sound capable audio chipset, with digital output.
- Type-C port
- Eight USB ports
- Post LEDs
- Surround sound & SPDIF out
- B365 chipset
7. GIGABYTE B365M DS3H WiFi
We introduced you to some budget motherboards, but this one takes the crown, as far as the price is concerned. This is a pick for users who want to get up and running while spending the bare minimum.
This micro-ATX motherboard is perfect for smaller cases, as this motherboard is much smaller than its ATX counterparts. There are six USB ports, four of which are 3.0, which is pretty nice, considering this is a bare minimums motherboard.
It has internal WiFi and Bluetooth, which is convenient for those who prefer going wireless. It even has RGB – basic, but it is there! The sound card is super basic, with only three simple plugs. There is only one PCIe slot that you’ll most likely use for a GPU, so do not expect lots of expandability options; although there is an M.2 slot.
- Six USB ports
- WiFi, Bluetooth
- M.2 slot
- only one PCIe slot
If you want to make the best choice without overspending, it is imperative to understand and know all of the motherboard features. Higher-end motherboards are designed with advanced users in mind; that is why they have the best and latest features. Just because you don’t need most of those features doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy a higher-end board. For example, if you own a pair of expensive headphones or a nice sound system, you should go for the premium motherboards, as they come equipped with high-quality audio codecs; unlike the budget variants, which have basic soundcards that don’t sound/perform as good. The best motherboards for i9 9900K are the premium ones, as they support stable overclocking.
Say what you want, but your gaming build is not complete without some RGB. Since the beginning of personal computing, gamers have been looking at ways to customize their rig, and hanging bunches of external lights inside the case was the only way to do it back then. Today it is different, as most premium motherboards come with RGB preinstalled. Some of them are static, but many of them can be completely customized – always have that in mind when making your choice.
This is one of those features that most new builders don’t understand, but it’s super important. BIOS Flashback is great for two reasons. The first one is that it allows you to upgrade your BIOS with the push of a button, you only need a USB with a firmware file on it. This can be detrimental if your motherboard requires a BIOS update to support your CPU, as you won’t be able to do that if your board doesn’t support this feature. It is also useful if you manage to brick your BIOS somehow – you will be able to reflash it.
Manufacturers love to slap the gaming label onto everything to sell more of their products. But as far as motherboards are concerned, there is a distinction between gaming and non-gaming motherboards. Gaming ones usually include improved network controllers, improved overclocking capabilities, superior sound cards, etc.
Does the i9 9900K work with B365?
B365 chipset supports Intel 8th generation of processors, but many B365 based motherboards also support the 9th generation. Some support it out of the box, while others require a BIOS upgrade.
Is the i9 9900K good for gaming?
Yes, as this is the most powerful Intel 9th gen CPU. It has eight cores, 16 threads, and a blazing turbo frequency of 5.0GHz! It will run all of the latest games, and thanks to its immense power, it can run the latest AAA games for the next two to three years.
Can i9-9900K bottleneck a 3080 TI?
The answer is not that simple. In reality, it won’t, as there are currently no games that can fully utilize more than 8 threads, let alone 16. As far as benchmarks are concerned, it bottlenecks the 3080 Ti by a few percent
Is i9-9900K overkill for gaming?
It is, as this CPU features as much as 16 threads, while most games today can properly utilize only 4 to 8 threads. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get it, as this CPU is great for futureproofing, you will likely be able to run the latest titles with this CPU even in the next couple of years.
Does i9 9900k have integrated graphics?
Yes, it does, which means you can use this CPU without purchasing a GPU, which can save you a lot of money. It has an Intel UHD Graphics 630 chip, which is decent enough to run some older games.
i9-9900K is an exceptional powerhouse of a CPU, it offers the most performance money can buy. However, if you want to get the most out of it, you will need to pair it with a capable motherboard. We reviewed some budget motherboards for this CPU, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to get a high-end CPU and pair it with an entry-level motherboard.
Check out some other picks from Amazon also:
- Supports 9th i9-9900K, i7-9700K, i5-9600K and 8th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron processors for LGA 1151 socket
- Supports dual channel ddr4 memory, up to 4400(oc) MHz
- Turbo M.2: PCI-E gen3 x4 interfACe maximizes performance for NVME SSDS
- Core boost, 8+4 pin CPU power connector, ddr4 boost
- Built for reliable operation
- Supports 9th i9-9900K, i7-9700K, i5-9600K and 8th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron processors for LGA 1151 socket
- Supports dual channel DDR4 Memory, up to 4400(OC) MHz
- 2x TURBO M.2, Intel Optane Memory Ready. Turbo USB 3.1 GEN2, Extended Heatsink
- Intel CNVi Ready: Supports Intel CNVi Wi-Fi module, IEEE802.11 AC wave2
- Built for esports, streaming, and gaming.Operating system:Support for Windows 10 64-bit
- Designed for 9th and 8th generation Intel Core processors to maximize connectivity and speed with M. 2, USB 3. 1 Gen2 and ASUS Optimum II for better DRAM overclocking stability
- Revamped 5-Way Optimization that has the intelligence to overclock a CPU based on smart prediction and thermal telemetry. OptiMem II: Careful routing of traces and vias, plus ground layer...
- 5X Protection III Hardware-level safeguards with Safe Slot Core, LAN Guard, Over voltage Protection provide longevity, reliability. FanXpert 4 delivers advanced fan control for dynamic system cooling
- Patent-pending Safe Slot Core fortified PCIe slots prevent damage caused by heavyweight GPUs
- 8-channel HD Gaming Audio featuring Realtek ALC887 high definition audio codec
- 10th Generation Intel i9-10850K CPU Processor and ASUS Z490-A Motherboard bundle combo, maximize performance, speed and connectivity whenever you game, design, record, stream, web browsing, document...
- Intel Core i9-10850K Desktop Processor. 10 Cores 20 Threads; 3.60 GHz up to 5.2 GHz Turbo Unlocked; 20 MB Intel Smart Cache; Intel UHD Graphics 630; 125W TDP; LGA1200 Sockets Supported
- CPU Support Maximum Memory Capacity 128 GB, DDR4 2933 MHz, No ECC memory, up to 2 memory channel, 45.8 GB/s max memory bandwidth. Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Support, Intel Optane Memory...
- ASUS Prime Z490-A MB. Built with Intel LGA 1200 Socket, designed to unleash the maximum performance of 10th Gen Intel Core processors. Flexiable connection and fast speed with dual M.2 slots, USB 3.2...
- Enhanced Power Solution: 12+2 DrMOS power stages, 6-layer PCB, ProCool sockets, alloy chokes and durable capacitors for stable power delivery. / VRM heatsink, PCH heatsink, hybrid fan headers and Fan...
- Intel LGA 1200 socket: Designed to unleash the maximum performance of 11th Gen Intel Core processors
- AI Motherboard : AI Overclocking, AI cooling, AI networking and AI noise cancelation
- Robust Power Solution: 14+2 Dr. MOS power stages with ProCool II power connector, high-quality alloy chokes and durable capacitors to provide reliable power when pushing CPU performance to the limit
- Optimized Thermal Design: VRM heatsink, PCH fanless heatsink, M.2 heatsink, hybrid fan headers and Fan Xpert 4 utility
- High-performance Gaming Networking: Intel WiFi 6 AX201 (802.11 ax), Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet with ASUS LANGuard
- Supports 10th Generation Intel Core / Pentium Gold / Celeron Processors for LGA 1200 socket
- Supports dual channel DDR4 memory up to 128GB (4800MHz)
- Lightning USB 20G is powered by the ASmedia 3241 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 controller, offering never before seen USB speeds up to 20Gb/s from the Rear USB Type-C port
- Twin Turbo M.2 with M.2 Shield Frozr delivers transfer speeds of up to 32 GB/s for ultra-fast SSDs
- On-board 2.5G LAN plus Gigabit LAN
- Intel LGA 1200 socket: Designed to unleash the maximum performance of 10th Gen Intel Core processors
- Optimized Thermal Design: VRM heatsink, PCH fanless heatsink, M. 2 heatsink, hybrid fan headers and Fan Xpert 4 utility
- Industry-leading Gaming Audio: High fidelity audio with the SupremeFX S1220A codec, DTS Sound Unbound and Sonic Studio III draws you deeper into the game action
- Unmatched Personalization: Time-honored red on black gaming look, ASUS-exclusive Aura Sync RGB lighting, including RGB headers and Gen 2 addressable headers
- High-performance Gaming Networking: On-board Intel 1Gb Lan with ASUS LANGuard
- Supports Intel Core X-Series cascade lake-X, Skylake-X and Kaby lake-X processors for 2066 socket
- Matx form Factor
- 32GB DIMM support - Quad-Channel DDR4 up to 128GB 4000MHz+ cascade lake-X/Skylake-X, and 64GB 4133MHz+ Kaby lake-X
- New EVGA GUI BIOS features in-bios stress test and OC robot to auto-overclock your CPU and set per Core Clock speeds and voltages
- 4 USB 2.0 Ports (2 internal headers), 8 USB 3.1 Gen1 (1 header), 2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Ports (1x Type-A, 1x Type-C)