Indonesia is the fourth-largest country by population, so this means for Netflix, it must be a gold mine; but it isn’t. Why is that?
There are actually 2 reasons for this: 1. ISPs banning Netflix in Indonesia and 2. Censorship and poor content.
- One of the biggest ISPs in Indonesia (Telkom) bans its users from accessing Netflix. This means that anyone with Telkom as their internet provider does not have any access to Netflix. So minus one point for Netflix!
- Since Indonesia is a Muslim country, a lot of Netflix’s movies and TV series cannot be broadcasted because they don’t comply with local laws and morals. So Netflix has to offer a very limited list of movies and TV series to the Indonesians and because of that, people don’t tend to buy a Netflix subscription and this equals even fewer users for Netflix.
But there is a solution that can fix both of these problems at the same time: A VPN.
What is a VPN?
A VPN (short for Virtual Private Network) is a software that changes your IP address and encrypts your internet traffic. By doing so, your ISP will not have any control over the traffic of Netflix so you can easily stream any movie or TV show you want.
Another use for VPN is to bypass geo-blocks set by services like Netflix. So the problem of having limited titles in Indonesian Netflix can be fixed by connecting to US Netflix with a VPN.
What is the difference between US Netflix and Indonesian Netflix?
US Netflix has more than 5,900 movies and TV series in its library compared to Indonesia which is somewhere around 4,600, showing the major difference between these two Netflix libraries. It is not possible to say the exact number of titles that are available in each country because Netflix adds and removes movies and TV series on a daily basis.
Here we have a list of some movies and TV shows which are not available in Indonesian Netflix but you can watch by using a VPN and connecting to the US library:
- Parks and Recreation
- Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2
- The Office (U.S.)
- The Hateful Eight
- Cloud Atlas
- The Walking Dead
Why is there a difference between Netflix libraries?
Each movie and TV show that is made, has a copyright holder. In order for Netflix to stream a movie in for example the US, it has to buy the license for that movie to have permission to distribute it in that country.
Netflix has been in the streaming service business in the US since 2007 and in Indonesia since 2016. So it is inevitable that it has a copyright license for more movies and TV shows in the US than Indonesia. This creates a huge difference in the Netflix library of these two countries.
How does Netflix block access to US Netflix in Indonesia?
Every device that connects to the internet has something called an IP address which is like a home address for your device. When you are connected to the internet from Indonesia, your device’s IP address will tell Netflix or any other website you open that you are connecting from Indonesia.
So by reading your IP address, Netflix will know which country you are connecting from so it will show you selected movies and TV shows that can be streamed in that country.
This method is called geo-blocking which is used by a lot of streaming services to block access to content which should not be viewed in a country.
How can I bypass this geo-block and watch US Netflix?
As we have said in the first part of the article, by using a VPN. But not any VPN.
Since 2016, Netflix started to ban any IP address it could find that belonged to a VPN service. This was because of pressures from the copyright holders of different movies in Netflix’s possession. By doing this, Netflix thought that it could stop people from accessing other libraries. And it worked, for a little.
After a while, different VPNs started developing new technologies to bypass this ban and provide access to Netflix from anywhere in the world. Even today, there are only a handful of VPNs that have the ability to unblock Netflix and bypass the geo-block.
What is the best VPN to watch US Netflix in Indonesia?
As we have said, you don’t have a lot of options for a VPN that unblocks US Netflix, but after testing these VPNs, we found out that the best one is Wachee.
Now let’s see why you need a good VPN for watching US Netflix:
- Ultra-fast Speed: You need the best servers around the world so you would have the best possible speed/quality while streaming Netflix without any buffering. And you don’t have to search for servers with high speeds, Wachee will automatically switch to the best available server just for you.
- Multi-location: Beside unblocking US Netflix, a VPN can unblock even other country’s libraries, providing you with even a bigger chunk of Netflix’s movies and TV series.
- Streaming Specific: This is a feature that we didn’t find in any other VPN. It will only tunnel the data from Netflix through its servers, this means that when you are surfing the web while streaming Netflix, the data from other websites will go through your own internet service. This feature helps prevent speed drop which can leave you with a terrible experience.
- Military Grade Security: By not having access to your web surfing, your VPN cannot read any of your important personal information that you use on different websites.
To add to the above features, the VPN we mentored above has one of the most low-priced subscriptions compared to any VPN with an annual plan that costs $35.88 ($2.99 per month) plus 3 to 7 days of free trial to test it! And on top of that, it offers a limited but free plan for streaming Netflix which no other VPN offers.
Watching US Netflix in Indonesia is not hard, you just have to have the right tool.